Monday, March 24, 2014

New Car, New Home (Almost!)

Saw this picture on Pinterest, which prompted me to post on here about our recent travels. Ryan and I have been all over the place lately - in our minds and in our cars. The quote makes me think of all the fun times that we've had with the traveling part of life. No, not the times when we are scrambling to find quarters under seats or dollar bills hidden inside receipts in my purse to pay for the excessive tolls around Houston (@$#%!), but the times when it's just been enjoyable cruising. Lately we've been downloading TED talks and podcasts before road trips to avoid all the changing radio stations. But when we're not getting educated on-the-go, the passenger will look up jokes on Ryan's iPhone, a tradition that began last Christmas on the way to Athens (What’s the difference between Tiger Woods and Santa?). Another new tradition, that is terrible, is "car naps." Car naps are what happen when I'm driving and I feel tired so we pull over to a gas station/rest stop and sleep in the car. It's incredible what an hour of rest stop sleep can do. The naps, jokes, laughs, navigation disasters, and I-need-Dr.-Pepper pitstops make up some great memories, though I would not mind a few less navigation disasters #Rerouting. Lately I've been very appreciative of RG's willingness to let me sleep in the car while he drives. I prefer my passengers to stay awake to keep me from getting drowsy, but while I was sick last week and worn out this past weekend, he let me sleep without hesitation. Anyway, we had a great road trip this weekend!



RG got a new car a few weeks ago, but you'd think it was a few months ago if you looked at all the miles we've put on it already! His new Honda Civic has taken us to Allen, Athens, Galveston, and a few trips to Round Rock this month. We went to Allen on March 12 to surprise my mom for her 60th birthday. She was really surprised when we showed up at her school! It was nice to spend time with my parents and be at home one last time before life gets really busy and I get a new last name. We also swung by Athens for a few hours to surprise Ryan's grandma & grandpa, a.k.a Mimi & Papa, and his cousin Brianne who is 4 months pregnant. Brianne knew we were coming and helped us surprise Mimi & Papa; I love surprising people! Mimi said, "that was the surprise of my life!" It reminded me of all the times I'd show up at my Grandma Mimi's apartment and surprise her. Those were such great memories. We've been up to Round Rock to visit Carly, Nick, & Ruby in their new house to help with the move and visit with my Roo!
family selfie with my parents

This past weekend, the Civic took us to Galveston! We had 36 hours to find somewhere to move next month and to secure an internship for my final field placement this summer. Fortunately, we managed to accomplish both! With the help of a really nice real estate agent, we found the best place ever (other than the lack of washer/dryer in the townhome, but whatevs) and managed to get a better price for an updated unit than the discounted price that she offered us for a non-updated unit. Basically, we SCORED in the housing department. It is located right in between the beach and the med school. I'm so happy about it! We still have to get our applications processed, so maybe I shouldn't count the eggs before they're hatched, but oh well. I'm also really excited about my summer internship. I'll be working in a really awesome children's hospital! Even the colors of the walls in the hospital make me happy. I have a great feeling about it!

We've got a month left until the wedding and I'm feeling ready for it. I'm ready for the move, like, literally. I packed up all my clothes last week and I'm pretty much ready to go at any moment, but I'll have to wait until mid-April when we load up the car and take our first round of stuff to move in. Here's to hoping the next few weeks will be very productive and that stress levels will stay at a minimum. Love you, RG, and can't wait to move into our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment