Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Engaged Holidays

We are finally on our "Christmas break," if you'd call it a break. I finished up my first semester of grad school and Ryan finished the last of his ER shifts for the month. I hesitate to call it "Christmas break" though because we are all over the place for the next few weeks. 

The rest of December looks a little like this: Schertz > Allen > Schertz >Allen >Athens > Schertz. Google maps tells me that we will be driving 1,203 miles on these holiday journeys...and we will be in the car for 18 hours and 50 minutes. I just wish there were an underground bullet train so we could avoid all of the driving. Thankful for my car that gets amazing mileage. 

Also thankful that we get to spend almost 5 days at my parents' house in Allen; we rarely get the chance to go to Allen, and when we do it's never for more than 72 hours. I think I have only been home 3 times in 2013 -- Thanksgiving, a bit in August, and when Mimi died. This will be the first Christmas without Mimi, so it was very important to me, and I believe for Ryan as well, that we spend time with my family. It will just be Ryan, my parents, and me at the house. Hoping for a lot of down time and relaxation and a few heated games of Scrabble.


We're looking forward to spending time with friends, family, watching lil Rubes open her presents, going to get drinks at Village Burger Bar, and going to the Elf Quote Along at the Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow. I'm sure we'll look back on this time in our lives fondly in our old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment